Thursday, June 18, 2009

Learning to Swim...






Wow. Learning to swim is harder than I remember. I should start out by saying both of my girls have a huge fear of the water. So needless to say, I signed them up for swimming lessons this year with the one and only Miss Heidi. I know all of you have heard me gushing over Miss Heidi's amazing ability to teach dance; but little did I know she and her family also own a swim school!!! And it took special, caring, kind and patient people like Miss Heidi and her family to teach my girls to swim! The first day of class Maya screamed bloody murder whenever the teacher came near her or asked her to join the class. The 2nd day, the first teacher was replaced by Miss Heidi who forced Maya to do all the swimming excersises with the rest of the class. At first she SCREAMED and CRIED at the top of her lungs whenever she had to get off of the steps of the pool. I have never seen her so upset about anything before! She kicked and tried to hop out of the pool whenever it was her turn! Thankfully by the end of day 2, she did what she was asked without the tantrum. The next 2 days were even better. Maya still HATES to get in the pool, but at least now she takes her turn without freaking out! Kelsey, I must say, did awesome! By the 3rd day she was jumping off the diving board without help from the teachers, and for a child who is deathly afraid of the water that is a huge accomplishment! She still has a lot to learn but she has a great head start! This was the girls first swimming session; they have another session in July. Keep your fingers crossed Maya will be a willing participant! Great job girls! I am so proud of both of you!!

3 comments:

Deena said...

Swimming is the best. Your girls will get it quick, especially Kels. Mya's biggest success will be to tolerate getting into the pool, and that's enough for her right now. We love to swim and can't wait for the warm weather to get out redneck pool out. Good luck at lessons. They are already doing a great job.

Cori Simmons said...

Wow - I wish Savannah had a little fear of water, maybe then I wouldn't have to worry so much. By the time your lessons are over, your girls will be begging to get in the water. YEAH

Tiff said...

and look since you posted this little Mya is getting braver and braver! Swim lessons are the best I totally believe in them!